Everything you need to know about Nitrogen in Australia
Nitrogen is a non-flammable gas which does not support combustion. It is colourless and odourless and non-toxic; it is almost a totally inert gas (containing 79% volume of air).
Industrial Grade Nitrogen is produced with a food grade classification.
- Tyre inflation
- Inert atmospheres
- Food packaging
- Gauge calibration
- Metal degassing
- Air tools
- Wine making
- Fire fighting
Nitrogen is non-toxic, inert and inflammable, it comprises 79% volume of the air we breathe. High concentrations in confined spaces may result in unconsciousness without symptoms.
Storage and handling
- Keep cylinders upright and protect the valve from physical damage. Secure cylinders when standing.
- Ensure all cylinders are correctly labelled
- Ensure area is well ventilated.
- Check regularly for leaks. Close all valves when not in use.
- Ensure all regulators and fittings are free from dust and oil
- External storage is preferred. Do not store cylinders in an area where any leaking gas could accumulate
- If valve is damaged, do not attempt to operate
- Never use lubricants to valves or regulators
- If valve does not operate by hand, return the cylinder to the supplier (attach a faulty cylinder tag)